something's off

out on my workout last night i felt exhausted and worn out. it appears that my sinus infection is back and my head was feeling heavy. i was struggling to keep my heart rate up, i was super sensitive to the exhaust fumes of cars passing me on the bike, and my legs and the rest of my body were feeling tired.

after a great workout on saturday, i spent the whole day sunday building a patio in my backyard, which meant hours of arduous labour. since i live in a row house, the only access to the back is through the house. that meant that every bag of gravel and sand (15 x 66lbs) and every flagstone (104 x 22lbs) had to be carried up the front steps, through the house, and down the stairs in the back. not to mention digging and hauling out all of the earth that will eventually be replaced by the stones. by the end of the day i was completely exhausted and showering and making my way to the couch to finally get some rest seemed like an effort. add to all of that the fact that i slept terribly that night and woke up with every inch of my body aching. not exactly ideal conditions to be in less than a week away from the biggest race of my year.

so i guess it's no wonder that i was feeling terrible on my workout last night. the good news is that i've otherwise been feeling fantastic over the past couple of weeks, so hopefully all i need is some rest. my diet has also been off track since friday, and with all of the strenuous activity my body is desperate for some proper nutrition. i had a great sleep last night and i've got only a couple of workouts left this week before hitting the brakes and resting up for saturday.

saturday is only a few days away and my nerves are creeping up on me. i'm haunted by the flat tire i got on this same course last year, ending my race while i was in 4th spot. if that happens this year my race will be over just as quickly as last year's. i'm convincing myself that it's not going to happen and i'm focusing on how great the race is going to go, rather than thinking about what could go wrong.