bike fitting at endurosport


for those of you that can make sense of the diagram above, congratulations. you're of a rare few. i, on the other hand, interpret an image like this as a foreign language and prefer to leave bike fitting and geometry to the experts. that's why, yesterday, i brought my bike with me to endurosport. i'm at the store at least once a week to go for a run with dan rishworth, manager of endurosport's leaside location, and this week i wanted to spend some time with him to go over my aero position mid-season.

when i bought my bike in october (a cervelo P3) i had a fairly thorough bike fitting then, rode it indoors for the off season, and made a few small adjustments of my own here and there over the winter and early on in the race season. now that i've been outside and racing for a couple of months i figured it was time to go over my aero position with an expert, and there's nobody that knows more about bike fitting than dan and the staff at endurosport. dan is a magician when it comes to proper aero position

we spent an hour together and overall my position was, according to dan, already pretty good. things got super technical and we tweaked the cleat position on my cycling shoes slightly and lowered my aerobars by about 1cm. this will lower my back somewhat, allowing me to tuck through the wind more efficiently. i'll ride this new position for a few weeks and then lower my aerobars again by another 1cm because, more or less, the lower you're able to tuck yourself out of the wind, the faster you'll ride. 1cm may not sound like a lot, but it's actually a pretty significant change in position and i'll have to adjust to it before fine-tuning my position any more.

if you're questioning the efficiency of your riding position i would definitely recommend that you have an expert like dan - or any other staff member at endurosport - go over it with you. duathlon and triathlon is all about going as fast as you possibly can, and an efficient aero position is crucial for speed.