the root of it all

January 13, 2011

2011 is off to a good start but, surprise surprise, another injury has popped up.  during my ride last saturday a pain developed in my right knee.  i took a break about an hour into it, stretched things out and was able to finish my 2.5 hour workout, but the pain is still hovering a week later.  this is just the latest in a string of injuries i've had over the past two years, one after the other.  my first major injury happened in milton in 2009 when i fell off my bike.  i fell onto my left side but it was my right side that became the problem.  in august of 2009 i developed a stress fracture in my right leg which put me off my feet for three months.  late last year i wiped out on my bike, landing hard on my left shoulder, but, again, it was my right side that became the problem.  i started working with a new physiotherapist in december, initially determined to sort out my shoulder because it wasn't improving, and what i got was a breakthrough diagnosis that explains everything over the past few years.  i have scoliosis.  my spine is bent.


this image is an exaggeration of my condition, but because of the scoliosis, my posture makes me favour the left side of my body, which makes it much stronger, and therefore more stable, than my right.  so that means even if i sustain trauma on my left side, it's the right side of my body with the serious complications.  it's a long term problem with no short term solutions.  i've had to completely adjust my posture in a day-to-day effort to sort this out.  like always i'm determined to get through this and this was the most encouraging diagnosis i've had over the years because suddenly everything made sense.  it's no wonder i keep getting hurt!  and even better news is that if this gets sorted out, it may mean the end of these silly and frustrating injuries that are hitting me far too frequently. fingers crossed.