the good and the bad of it

January 27, 2011

january started off strong but has since gone downhill.  it has not been a good training month for me.  a crazy work schedule, injury, illness and travel have provided plenty of interruptions.  the bad news first: because of the inflammation in my knee i haven't been able to run for more than a week.  even though it hurt i tried toughing it out and made it through several workouts, but that only made things worse.  i've missed many speed, strength and volume workouts at this crucial time of year.  i'll try running sunday but i've been advised by my physiotherapist to take another week off if there's even the slightest twinge of discomfort.  for now it's stretching, ultrasound and laser therapy.  i've also caught a nasty cold that kept me home one day this week and i only returned to work because i'm busy and can't afford the downtime.

but here's the good news:  while my running falls further and further behind, my riding continues to get better and better.  right now i'm sustaining wattages that i could barely touch last year.  swimming is also going well.  sometimes i feel like i'm just flailing around in the water, but for the most part i'm starting to show improvements.  also good is the fact that i still have time.  it's only january and that means i still have a few weeks before the 12-week lead-up to my first big race begins.  hopefully my knee will be sorted out by then and i can get back on track.