back at it tomorrow

i'll be racing in welland tomorrow, my first race in almost a month. during my last race in milton i fell pretty hard on my left side and have been nursing my way through the injury (click here for all of the details of that injury and the rest of that race). because i'd fallen and bruised my left leg, my right leg bore the burden by compensating and adjusting slightly, and i left the race with an overuse injury. it was pretty agonizing for a couple of days. not only did i have a bruise the size of a football on my left ass cheek, but i also couldn't run or ride afterwards without experiencing discomfort in my right leg. brutal.

after a week of recovery, easy, super-light workouts and session after session of physio, ultrasound, ART, and acupuncture, my leg slowly started getting better. i followed up that easy week with two hard weeks of workouts and have been tapering this past week in preparation for tomorrow's race. in the middle of dealing with the injury i've also come down with a pretty nasty cold that has been lingering this whole time. the cold still hasn't gone away and i'm still sniffly and coughing quite a bit, but i feel pretty good physically and think that i can make it through the race. i'm psyched to be getting back to competition and my plan is to race tomorrow, race one week later in peterborough, take two weeks off, and be in peak condition for the national qualifying race on july 18th in gravenhurst.

i was in welland for this same race last year and i'm anxious to see how my times will improve on a year-to-year comparison. i'd love to go out there and break 1.30.00 for this 5k/30k/5k race (my time from last year was 1.35.36), but i'm not sure if i'm capable of a time like that.

they've always a part of racing, but injuries are still unexpected whenever they come up, and hopefully i've made the right decisions with how i've treated this one.