made it through

March 18, 2011

it's been more than two months, but it looks like i've finally beaten this latest injury.  after a 5k race simulation last weekend and some track work this week, it appears that my knee's strength has returned to a level that i don't need to hold myself back any longer.  run intensity and volume are at 100%, putting me on track with eight weeks to go until florida 70.3.  run speed is long gone and will take a lot of work to get back, but at least i'm up off the sidelines.  hallelujah.


it's taken a whole team of people to help me through this one and i wanted to give a shout out to all of them.  first and foremost, dave frake from balance physiotherapy has seen me through this thing from the very beginning.  for several weeks i was seeing him up to three times a week and he guided me through each stage of the injury and gave me instructions on how to safely ease back into training without overdoing it.  i've seen many physiotherapists over the years and frake is by far the most knowledgeable, patient and effective.  he's also an incredible athlete.  he won his age group at last year's world duathlon championships and finished sixth overall.  cindy from absolute endurance (another incredible athlete) worked her ART magic and saw me immediately following several workouts, and carrie ann from totum is the most talented (and by talented i mean least forgiving!) RMT i've used over the years.  being on her table can be torturous but the rewards are well worth it.

thanks, all.