eight weeks out

July 14, 2010

last week i was looking at my calendar and realized that sunday marked 8 weeks to go until the worlds. eight weeks to go. unbelievable. it feels like it was only yesterday i qualified.
between now and the worlds i have three races, including the provincial championships this weekend in gravenhurst. this is a big race for me and i'm hoping to finish in less than two hours, which is a demanding feat on such a tough course. the running sections are full of rollers and it's no different on the bike. because of all the ups and downs it's hard to find a rhythm while riding and i've had fairly bad luck on this course in the past that i hope won't repeat itself; in 2008 i got a flat on the infamous rough patch of jones road, and in 2009 i was run off the road by a cube van and nearly planted my face in the dirt. this course has taught me to remain focused on the things that i can control and not let the things that i can't get in my head.

because the worlds are getting so close i've stepped up training a bit, trying my best to get two solid workouts in every day, three on good days. it's exhausting and difficult on my schedule and my body is tired because of it. my legs have been heavy for days so i went for a massage (an incredible massage, i should add... i've found my new go-to rmt!) to loosen things up and am feeling light on my feet again. today was track work and tomorrow is a rest day and i'm going to force myself to take it easy before my final pre-race workout friday morning. i've had to take a step back to realize that i need to be getting ready for this weekend and rest is important for these last few days leading up to the race. but come next week my only taper will be for the worlds and my two remaining lead-up races will be nothing more than additional training days.

i'm feeling calm and relaxed which is always good for me leading up to a race, and a strong finishing time at this tough international distance venue is just what i need the final few weeks leading up to the worlds.