weather, training and injuries

as a canadian it's my duty to talk about the weather. and as an athlete that does the majority of his workouts outside, weather plays a huge role in the length, quality and type of workout i'm able to do. the weather has finally been cooperating over the past few days and i've been outside enjoying it. except for a couple of nasty thunderstorms on sunday which i got caught in, promptly ending my run and sending me inside to do a long ride on the indoor trainer, the weather this week has been great for outdoor training. monday i wasn't able to get a workout in because i was getting caught up at work after a week away, tuesday was a 50k hills ride and run, wednesday was a ride to a from work and intervals in the afternoon, and today is another ride to and from work. tomorrow looks good so i'll be back on my bike riding to work again and will do a tempo run in the afternoon, all the while doing my best to work through an injury that just won't go away.

because i was traveling with work last week i wasn't able to get any workouts in. when i'm in the field i'm typically working 10-18 hour days and traveling from spot to spot or getting ready for the next day in the evenings. i thought that with a week's worth of downtime my injuries might actually begin to improve, but this week, now that i'm back at it, they seem to be even worse. i'm seeing my physiotherapist tonight and my chiropractor tomorrow in a effort to get this thing finally taken care of once and for all. i'm not ready to throw in the towel and put an end to my racing year just yet because i'm planning on racing right into october, so i'm going to do what i can to beat this thing. if i'm advised to put a halt on my training and racing i will, but otherwise it's business as usual.

i'm racing in toronto on the islands this weekend at a race that i've been looking forward to all year and am not prepared to miss. it's my hometown race and i'll have family and friends there. i've already prepared myself for the fact that i'll probably be hurting after this race and have already booked physio and chiro appointments for next week. i haven't raced for nearly a month so rest and downtime aren't helping, so i'm just gonna go out there and do what i can. i'm ready to race again and i'll see how my body reacts. hopefully all will go well and i'll be no worse off than i am now, but, as my physiotherapist who's also a multisport athlete said, "people always end up hurting themselves when racing because that's when they're working the hardest."